Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Gitane Team


I always wanted a Gitane when I was a kid. I got a Stella which was cool and perhaps more rare. But I really wanted a Gitane. Last year I saw a mint condition 1974 Gitane Team frame on ebay. I got it with the help of one of my friends.

The problem with old French racing bikes is that they have all of these odd sizes for headset and bottom bracket and on and on. So when you buy one of these things you don't know if you will ever find parts to fit it. Thankfully this frame came with Campagnolo Record bottom bracket (bearings that hold the crank on) and Campy Record headset (bearings that hold the fork on) The frame came in perfect condition. All I had to do was build it up with period parts.

I have been collecting old Campy Record parts for years. Around 1980 I bought a new Record crank that had never been used when a bike shop closed down. I didn't have a bike for it and just put it in my closet for years. Over the years I collected all of the group. Brakes, calipers, shifters, cable guides, housing clamps, brake levers, even end bolt, and derailleurs front and back. So I was the perfect person for this Team frame when it came up for auction.

The only thing on it that isn't record are the hubs. They are Campy Nuovo Tipo. Not as good as Record but still totally race worthy, high flange and period. Back then, everything Campy made was race worthy. I think that is still true.

I built up this Team bike with all Nuovo Record except for the hubs. And here is a photo. It has Continental tubulars on it and the rims are also somewhat new and not period. They are Italian Nisi. In the photo I have some Cheap Time pedals on it. Cinelli 1A stem and bars. Brookes Pro saddle. It is very cool. Also I found a Regina Corsa chain new (30 years old) in the box to match my freewheel.

It is very sweet if you are into old Gitanes. Lemond won on a Gitane as did Eddy Merckx and many others. This bike has a very nice ride. It is hard to explain. A lot of it is due to the tubulars. It is however kind of harsh after about 20 miles. But I don't ride it much. It is just one of those things I'm helping to preserve. I'm going to ride this thing in my old age.

When I can't crawl onto it anymore I'm going to eyeball a young rider who is gung ho and fits this bike and I'm going to give it to him or her.

No comments: