Thursday, December 06, 2007

Do they fall apart?

My mom is doing very well considering. This has been a very difficult week both for her and for me. They moved her out of ICU yesterday and into a regular room. I came home today to get my paycheck, touch bases at work for a half a day and I'll return tomorrow.

I think this situation has lowered my defenses. Now I'm not strong enough to do battle at work the way I need/ needed to. I was so impressed by how the ICU nurse dealt with the most difficult of situations, and I thought I could emulate her composure. A few phone calls at work later, and I'm not so sure that this kind of understanding works in my world. But I want it. I want to be like that.

I have to wonder. How in the world do these nurses and doctors not let these life and death situations not get to them? I wonder if the calm place they reflect is merely a facade. Do they fall apart after they get off of work?

2 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

I have worked with a lot of health care workers over the years. Some nurses fall apart in the lounge or after work, some go out and blow off steam and they never really fall apart. The nurses came and cried with me at my Grandmother's bedside when she passed away. One nurse came to me often to talk about how she felt so helpless to make a difference in the lives of our residents.

I don't think there's a secret, but I do think it takes a special kind of person to nurse. There is something very sacred about what they are doing. I envy that they are willing to expose themselves to the suffering and pain of others. I could not envision myself doing the same thing.

don said...

Yes there is something very special about them.