Thursday, March 06, 2008

Sick and epic pow day

"It's a sick day man!" said the snowboarder who jumped on the chair with us at the last minute. At first I thought he meant it was a good day, or a rad day, or something like that. "Yes it's very nice out today,..very sick,.." I responded. This guy reminded me of Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High except his blonde hair was in dreadlocks. But I think he might have meant it was a good day to call in sick,.. "It's epic man!" He went on to say...

I took yesterday off as I knew the sun was going to come out. What I didn't realize was that it had snowed so much in the mountains. So it was a "pow" day, and that's something I still understand. I skied in Idaho but it also got dumped on where I grew up skiing at Montana Snowbowl, and there is an ARTICLE about it in the Missoulian and a video you can check out. They didn't get the sun that we did but none the less, we all shared in a sick and epic pow day. I spent most of my time in the "steep and deep", but here is a photo from the top at the end of the day.

5 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

My lead at work introduced me to Fast Times at Ridgemont High . . .

"I. Don't. Know. I like that!"

"Gee Mr. Hand, will I pass this class? Gee Mr. Spicoli, I Don't Know!"

don said...

When this guy got on the chair and started talking I almost couldn't believe he was for real.

Diane Lowe said...

Haha!

I definitely think that "sick" is in the same realm as "cool" or "rad".

It's really interesting to run into people like that though. They definitely have a different (probably sunnier) version of reality!

don said...

The Missoulian article made me think that everyone was calling in sick because of the snow.

But then I don't know who would hire this snowboard guy.

The Wordpecker said...

When someone barks out a comtemporary slang like "sweet" or "sick" I can't restrain myself. I counter with an old throwback like "Yeah man, that was the cat's pyjamas" or "the bees knees" and watch for a reaction.