Sunday, July 26, 2009

Loreen Miller bike ride pictures

Here are a few pictures from the 2009 Loreen Miller Cancer Patient Care bike ride. It was raining in the morning when I got up and that was a welcome change in the weather. The clouds lasted all morning and without them it would have been a hot ride. I rode the 50 mile ride as I thought it might be really hot to try and ride farther, plus I haven't been cycling as much as usual. I really suffered on the first climb but later in the day I started to feel stronger and stronger and at the end of the ride I felt as good if not better than I did at the start. So that's encouraging.

This guy had the most interesting jersey. Skull and bones.

I rode with these two ladies on and off. Wendy and Shelley, if I got their names right. They both do triathlon and were very fit. I ejoyed their company and did my best to keep up with Wendy on the climbs. I've noticed more and more tri people, especially women doing the bike rides lately and I think that's great. Of course in triathlon you aren't supposed to draft, so there's a whole culture of non-drafting out there as a result. I was taking turns pulling with another woman earlier and she commented that it had been a long time since she had drafted and how much fun it was. It's one of the things I really enjoy about group cycling as there's nothing like the thrill of being in a long train of riders going fast. Of course I always like to sit on if possible, like I'm doing here :)

At the end of the ride they had the best food I've ever had at a bike ride. Also they had the Angus Scott bagpipe band and I always like to hear them as they can put together some cool combinations. There were a couple of young dancers that I enjoyed as well. All in all it was a geat ride as usual.

***
From the website..

Who are Cancer Patient Care’s clients?

Cancer Patient Care clients are active cancer patients and their families who are fighting the invisible burden of overwhelming debt. Often our clients were financially stable until cancer invaded their lives. CPC helps them meet their basic needs.

***

Invisible burden indeed..

I won't go into the whole health care issue but we might not need this if everyone were covered.

8 comments:

Jules said...

Very well done, Don!! Not just the riding and perserverance, but the photography to capture the event! ?Nice one!

don said...

Thanks Jules! You are so nice to me..

As far as the riding goes,. I was sucking air! Well at least for the first climb.. I think it's safe to say that I suck.. :)

I've done this ride many times. Cancer Patient Care is a great organization that pays for people who can't afford treatment or their insurance won't cover (unless I don't understand).

***
From the website..

Who are Cancer Patient Care’s clients?

Cancer Patient Care clients are active cancer patients and their families who are fighting the invisible burden of overwhelming debt. Often our clients were financially stable until cancer invaded their lives. CPC helps them meet their basic needs.
***

Invisible burden indeed..

I won't go into the whole health care issue but we might not need this if everyone were covered.

It's a great bike ride anyway. I'd ride it no matter what the cause, but it's nice to know that it is such a good fundraiser for Cancer Patient Care.

My mom recovered from cancer a year ago and my dad died from it several years ago. They both had good insurance but lots of people here don't have anything and can't afford treatment.

8:28 PM

Diane Lowe said...

Cool! :)

Nice photos! That skull-and-bones jersey is neat!

Looks like you had a good time!

don said...

After I got past the first climb I started to get my legs. But the first climb was a killer.

Jules said...

I knew about your Mom, but I didn't know about your Dad. No wonder you're so passionate about the cause. I lost a mother-in-law and step dad both to cancer... so I get it... completely. ((HUG))

I'm nice to you because you're G-R-E-A-T! Just don't call me up and pretend to be a telemarketer (strange reference to a blogpost of my own), or you'll see a different side of me! LOL

Diane Lowe said...

I didn't know about Don's dad either. . . :'(

And Don is GREAT!!!! :)

don said...

Thanks you guys :)

but I'm not that great..

Jules said...

Sure you are. Aren't you? Yeah, I'm convinced. So's Diane, so there! :O)