Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sun pickle recipe

It's time for sun pickles again. I went to a local farmer's market type place down the road from where I live and bought a bunch of small cucumbers and some dill. Here's the basic recipe:

3# of cucs
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup Kosher salt (I used about 1/3 cup of salt and I think you could get by with less)
2 table spoons of pickling spice.

Wash the cucs put them in 1 gallon jar add above and then fill with water.
Let sit in sun for three days and shake once a day.

I backed down the salt and added a sliced jalpeno pepper, (I like it hot) some galic, some onion, and some fresh dill. The cost has gone up a little in the two years since I first made this. The cucs were twice as expensive, but I have almost enough to make one more batch. This time I had everything but the cucs, dill and the pepper. I'm in around $12 not counting what I already had, the canning/ pickling salt, vinegar and pickling spice. The thing I like about these pickles is how crisp they are. I'm sure you could use any kind of salt.

Here's a link to when I made SUN PICKLES a while back with photo.

It's going to be almost 100 degrees tomorow, so that will jump start the process.

1 comment:

Diane Lowe said...

Yay for sun pickles! :)