Friday, September 04, 2009

Glacier Park vacation

I spent a few vacation days in Glacier Park cycling, hiking and canoeing. I don't think there is any place I'd rather be other than Flathead Lake. Here are a few Glacier Park photos. One morning I hiked from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake as it was on the east side of the continental divide and got the morning sun. It, feels like you are on the top of the world up there. It was really windy and that kept the people cool and the bugs away.

Then in the afternoon I took the Highline Trail that goes from Logan Pass to Granite Park along the Garden Wall which you can see at right. I didn't go all the way to Granite Park as I didn't have enough daylight, but I did go to Haystack which is the hump you see in the distance. I wanted to make it to Haystack because I wanted to see over the other side, but kept looking at my watch because I didn't want to get caught out late up there. It's not a place you want to hike alone late in the day. If anything were to happen and you had to spend the night out it could be disaster, not to mention the Grizzly Bear issue. I timed it right although I think I was the last person off of the trail that day. Not good actually although I know the trail well. The wind really got strong and there are several places you could be blown away to your death. I guess it's happened.

One day after I went cycling in the morning, I took the canoe out on Lake McDonald. It was hot and calm all afternoon which is kind of unusual for Glacier but I knew it would be a good day to be on the water. This view is looking southwest towards Apgar. I'm infront of Lake McDonald Lodge where I stayed. I'd paddle along and then beach the canoe and go for a dip in the cold water.

The water was so clear I could see the shadow of my canoe on the bottom when the water was really deep. I could see fish swimming along too and one time a whole bunch of them swam by. I beached the canoe several times and went swimming. The bottom drops off steep in places and when you swim under water and look into the deep it is the most beautiful turquoise color. It was really amazing. I was wishing I had an underwater camera.

Here's a picture of my car canoe and bike at Apgar as I left the park. I have room for one more bike on the other side of the canoe. I stayed at Lake McDonald Lodge at the other end of the lake and Hiked in those Mountains. I rode my bike in the morning from the far end of the lake to this end and back. I had to time trial on my way back to Lake McDonald Lodge to check out on time. I rode over 80 miles while I was in the park. I took a lot of pictures too so perhaps I'll post a few more later.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Those are some awesome photos Don! :)

Looks like a great vacation!

don said...

Thanks! It's a great place to vacation. Great place for photography too even though we all take the same pictures :)

Jules said...

I'm not sure there's ever been a more picture perfect image of a canoe on water than the one you have here (the one with the front of the canoe and the mountains). This looks like it was an amazing little vacation.. thanks for sharing the photos with us!

don said...

You're welcome Jules, thanks for looking.