Sunday, January 01, 2012

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all. I brought it in with Queenie in Canada and went ice skating for the first time since I was a kid. We used to have a pond like this to skate on in Montana where I grew up, so this was a real flash back. I fell once but then started to get the hang of it after a few laps. We rented skates, and I had to give my driver's license number as a deposit. The rental guy was a little short with me until he saw that I was from Washington state, then he's like, wow you're a long way from home and wanted to talk. I've never used hockey skates so that was also a new experience. They turn really quickly and I really enjoyed how they felt, almost like little slalom skis. Guess I'll have to get my own skates now.. Queenie is a good skater too even though she said she wasn't. Then we roasted some "smokies" (hot dogs) at a fire pit next to the pond. It was a very nice family experience on a beautiful winter day and something I'll long remember. I have to admit though that I probably should wear a helmet when I skate..

Oh,. that's not us by the way,.. we were just skating behind these guys.

2 comments:

Jules said...

It was so much fun! One thing I just adore about you is your never ending quest to try things and have fun. It was nice to do a family event like that in winter. I've never roasted smokies over an open fire in the sub zero temps here either. So a first for me as well. Skating was more fun than I remember it being. Helps to have someone to do it with.

don said...

I totally loved that whole experience!