Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Chicks kick ass

I was out on my road bike doing a climb not far from my house. It is a climb used in the Ironman triathlon when it comes to North Idaho. I ride it all of the time. This time I was spinning up the climb without any motivation, and Whoosh! this young woman on a mountain bike comes blowing by me.

Well I know this climb. And it was a little disrespectful for her to blow by me like that on a pace that nobody could keep. Not to mention doing it on a mountain bike. I don't know what she was thinking.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of women who can out climb me. But I wasn't going to have this. I wasn't up to speed and just spinning. This was just the carrot I needed. So I hooked onto her wheel forcing her to continue at this pace.

I wanted to see her crack. Then I noticed a sticker on her left seat stay that read "Chicks Kick Ass." Once I read that I was determined to punish her for her act.

She noticed me back there. I don't think she ever imagined that I would hook on, but it is something I always do when someone passes me, and I stay as long as I'm comfortable. She pushed on. Her pride didn't allow her to back down. I knew that the pace was way to high for her, and sure enough she cracked. Half way up the climb she exited off on a dirt road. I think to save face. But she was way into the red zone as I made a point of trying to chat with her first. She was breathing so hard that she couldn't talk. It was funny.

Chicks do kick ass however. Some of them.

No comments: