Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's day and polygamy

I went to Montana to spend mother's day with my mom. I told her that I had been watching the HBO show, Big Love. It is a show about polygamy in the state of Utah. Mom said, "did you know that aunt (so and so) was a child of a second wife, and grew up in a polygimast family?" Well I faintly remember hearing this "second wife" mentioned when I was a kid but I didn't give it much thought, and actually thought it was probably out of divorce. But this was the real deal.

My aunt said that the second wife's kids were forced to work on the farm and the first wife's kids got to go to school. So she ran away and put herself though nursing school. She remained a regular mormon until she she recently died. She was a very sweet old lady. Happy mother's day to her. Perhaps she is in the celestial kingdom.

No comments: