Thursday, April 03, 2008

Body language

It's amazing how much you can tell from a person's body language. I was riding the chair with this kid who was on a snowboard. Me, this kid and an old ski bum. Of course I'm not an old ski bum :)

Anyway the two of us ski bums had this snowboard kid inbetween us. Three of us on a chair that holds six people. I'd ridden the chair earlier in the day with the kid. He was doing everything he could to act casual and relaxed, but clearly he was a tangled up mess inside.

"How's your day goin?" I asked. "I've come a conclusion." he said slowly with a strained smile on his face. I'm thinking, this should be interesting,.. The other ski bum was over on his side of the chair, a tall drink of water with sun glasses on sitting there motionless, his moustache hiding his smile.

"I need to keep focused on what I'm doing and not think about the other things that are on my mind." The kid said.

"That would be a good plan." I responded, after a short pause.

Here's a picture from the top this morning. (this picture will get bigger if you click on it, and that will give you the full effect)

I waited quite a while for someone to ski by so I could get this photo. It was cold too. Probably in the lower 20s and the wind chill was harsh. I had to keep my hand holding the camera inside my jacket until this lady finally skied by.

3 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

Wow! What a view. Lady-skiier sure helped put the photo into perspective. Our ski hills here are so weensy by comparison.

don said...

The slogan for this place is "go big"

All of the ski hills here give you a pretty good view, even the "weensy" ones. It helps to have a great big lake below however, but these are mountains and not really hills.

don said...

I forgot to say, this picture isn't exaclty from the top of the mountain. It's quite a ways down and only shows a small part of one run.