Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Trek and Greg Lemond part ways

I thought THIS was interesting. It's a pdf version of a powerpoint presentation given to Trek employees today about the company cutting off its relationship with Greg Lemond. Trek has been making Lemond bikes since 1995.

This all revolves around Lemond's criticizm of Lance Armstrong. Of course Armstrong won all of his Tours de France with Trek bikes and has an interest in the company.

I have a Trek bike. I have two Trek bikes actually. That makes me part of the Trek Family. I didn't buy my road bike because of Armstrong, I bought it because it was the it was the best product I could afford at the time, and I had a good relationship with the dealer. I'm not sure I'd buy one now after seeing this power point, but I wouldn't decide not buy one because of something Lemond said about Lance or Landis, or anyone else.

It does make sense that the Armstrong and Lemond part ways however. I can understand that, but My Gosh! To put something like this on their website.

I love the last page of the presentation. It's such a nice day,.. I can just imagine being a Trek employee today and having to get educated on how to think. Lemond's comments have been bad for Trek,.. They stopped short of saying Lemond's comments are wrong,..

***
Don't get me wrong. I have no great fondness for Lemond. He has a place at an exclusive ski hill in Montana next to Big Sky where only the very wealthy are allowed in. I find that disgusting.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Yes, the ending was a little strange, if I do say so myself. By making this public on their website, they are trying to make an indirect statement... seems a little sneaky. Why don't they just come right out and say what they feel directly?

don said...

They did post a statement that was much more direct as well as some other some other legal doccuments.

I just found the Power Point curious.