Thursday, April 17, 2008

Polygamy

My FIRST POST on this blog was about polygamy and mothers day. My aunt came from a different time and place. She was old when I was young. She was the daughter of a second wife in a polygamist family on a farm somewhere in Utah and ended up running away. I don't know all of the details and I think my parents didn't want me to know or be exposed to such things and as a little kid I couldn't have understood it anyway.

When I see these FLDS women on TV now I think about my aunt and the way she was. I admire her courage for running away.

I've been reading the DESERET NEWS, which has been covering this situation. It is a Salt Lake based paper. A majority of the comments on each story are critical of the Texas authorities and the government in general. It makes me wonder,..

Blame it on Texas,.. (is that a country and western song?)

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

It makes me wonder why commenters in Utah think it's OK for under-age girls to marry over-age men and have their babies, as well as why they think it's OK for them to pull their boys out of school at 11 or 12 (and I doubt the girls are allowed much school at all).

It makes me wonder why those people think it's OK for a man to water-board his baby, and why they think it's OK to hit a woman so badly she has to go to the hospital.

I hope they find Sarah (I heard some kids know her but she's not among the 416) and I hope they put those men and women that allow that abuse to go on behind bars for a very long time.

don said...

I know,..It's hard to understand the mindset.

Some of the commenters even took a few shots at liberals and democrats. (As if they had anything to do with any of this. After all, that part of the country isn't exactly a liberal stronghold.)