Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Someone's daughter

The first date I went on with the use of a motor vehicle was with Heidi. That's her real first name too. I usually tweek the names but Iove her name so much that I can't bring my self to call her Hilde. I had lots of "dates" if you will before I could drive, but this is the one I consider my first date. I took her out in an old Intenational Scout four weel drive. Heidi was such a beautiful girl, and she's a beautiful woman now.

When I got to her house to pick her up, and she lived in a very cool house, (a big A frame house next to a hill) she told me I had to go an meet her parents. So she drug me into the front room and I sat down. Her mom and dad came in and eyeballed me. They looked very concerned. I tried to answer all of their questions. I can still see them in my minds eye. Her mom looked almost sick about this date.

We got that over with and Heidi drug me out of there and we left. I thought she managed the situation very well. I was impressed.

On the other end of the date, before I left my house my dad had a talk with me. Here is what he said. "Remember that this girl is someone's daughter. You get her back home safely and in the same condition that you took her out in. That's a big resonsibility." I took it to heart.

I always remembered those words every time I went out on a date. This is someone's daughter.

5 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Aw, you couldn't change her name to Helen? ;)

Her dad sounds like he knew how to strike fear into the hearts of young men. He must be a smart man.

I wish more young men listened to the parents of the girls they date.

Megan said...

What a really sweet post. I like what your dad said.

I dated a guy who drove an International Scout. That thing was so much fun to ride around it. I think it only hit 50 mph on the downhills!

don said...

It was actually my dad that gave me the "someone's daughter" advice Diane. I did listen to Heidi's dad too though.

The Scout was what I learned to drive in. I guess they figured I couldn't hurt it. I ended up running it off of a logging road and rolled it three times down the the hill side. There was snow and it got away from me. Not on this date however.

Diane Lowe said...

Ahh. Sorry. It was really late when I read your post last night so I obviously skimmed the last paragraph!

Your dad must have been a cool dad to have growing up.

don said...

He was a good man. I had total respect for him.