Monday, March 01, 2010

Trees in the fog

Here's a picture I took skiing down into the fog. Eventually the fog burned off and it was nice and sunny on the mountain.

***
One time I was talking to my grandfather. He was a ranger for the Forest Service. He was telling me about going in and out of the fog on a mountain. I can't really remember exactly what he said, but I always think about him when I go in and out of the fog like this.

I think that's a Grand Fir tree in the middle there. The pointy one on the right is an Alpine Fir. The bare one in the distance farther to the right is a Tamarack.

6 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

That's lovely Don!

I like fog. Sometimes it's mysterious and other times it looks comforting.

The fog here looks comforting. :)

don said...

There were some nice things about it but it's kind of a wierd picture.

I had to ski down there as I started down that run and nobody had been skiing it. So it was all crusty and difficult to turn the race type skis. Then at the bottom there were a bunch of sticks coming out of the snow and I had to take my skis off and walk down one section. I didn't want to scratch the bottom of my skis.

Vixey said...

WOW! I love this pic. It looks amazing.

don said...

Thank you Vixey, I don't know why this picture bothers me so much. It looks a lot better on my Samsung monitor at work and on the camera actually than it does here on this monitor. Subtle colors don't come out on this monitor like they do on the Samsung. It might just be my video card here too. Plus I had to crop it a couple of different ways before I liked the composition.

Jules said...

Ohhh.. I love both the idea of a foggy mountain and you having a connection that warms you when you are on one. Thank you for the photo!

don said...

It's amazing how cold it is down in the fog, and how warm it is when you come up into the sunshine.