Saturday, March 01, 2008

Post Postum post

I heard on NPR today that Kraft has stopped making POSTUM. So this is a post Postum post...(sorry, I couldn't resist the alliteration) I knew this stuff as "mormon coffee" as we always had a jar around while I was growing up to serve instead of coffee when our momron friends and relatives came over. I noticed a jar of it out on the kitchen table the last time I was home, and I know there's still a jar of it up at the cabin. Of course I've had it. To me it tastes like liquid burnt plant, but I guess it has quite a following in Utah and other such parts. HERE is an article about it in the Deseret Morning News, a Utah based newspaper with an LDS persuasion.

It's windy and cold here today even though the sun is out for the moment. I can tell it is nasty in the mountains so I'll go skiing tomorrow. Today I wish I were up at the cabin, I'd sit down by the shore of the lake, watch the big waves roll in and enjoy a hot cup of Postum. And there's an opportunity here to make some bucks... Move to Utah and come out with a micro-postum-brew. Couldn't be that hard to knock it off... You heard it hear first.
***
Have you ever just put corn on the cob right on the BBQ to cook with the husk on? When the husk burns, that's kind of how Postum tastes.

5 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I'm sure if demand is high someone will start making their own Post Postum Postum and sell it to the die-hard fans.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

don said...

Ha ha ha :)

Anonymous said...

Being from the east coast I've never heard of Postum, but as a former hippie I've seen many different grain-based coffee substitutes. One is called Kava, I think. So the market niche will not go unfilled.

Courtney said...

Hmmm never heard of it. Guess I can't put it on my list of things to taste. Oh well. I guess chocolate covered ants moves up.

don said...

Megan, I've heard of one made in Belgium I think it was but I can't remember the name. I suspect it is a taste thing however like Coke vs Pepsi, and there's nothing exactly like Coke you know,..

Courtney, you'd better get your Postum post haste if you want to try it. I guess it has flown off of the shelves and going for bucks on e-bay. Very cute photos of your kids on your blog BTW.