Friday, March 07, 2008

The high cost of hummus

Due to high hummus prices, I've decided to try and make my own. How hard can it be right? MY FIRST ATTEMPT at dill pickles went well,.. I usually have just about everything needed on hand to make hummus and I think I can make it for at least 1/3 the cost. Not really a huge savings, but I like it so much I might as well make it myself, then I can get it exactly the way I want it. The only downside to this is that I have to buy a can of chickpeas, I haven't looked to see if I can get them frozen. In the can they have lots of sodium.

Not that I don't like salt,.. The salt food group is one of my favorites. Well it's right up there with the cheese food group anyway!

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

How did the hummus turn out?

I'm also a big fan of the salt group . . . sausage is in that, right? And we really only need preserved meat, cheese, bread, fruit and wine to live a completely decadent life, right?

;-)

The Wordpecker said...

I buy a whack of chick peas and legumes. When I was shopping last week and found organic chick peas (for over twice the price) I felt a little unsettled. Why would I need organic chick peas? What are they doing to my chick peas?

If you think in terms of how much chemical spray is being applied to our genetically modified food crops, maybe it will make you feel a little better about the sodium content.

Courtney said...

Good luck... Good luck!!!!!!!

don said...

I haven't done it yet Diane, still looking at the can of chickpeas, but I'm just about ready to make my hummus,..

Without the sodium, perhaps we wouldn't like chickpeas WP,..

Thanks Courtney! I'm thinking it will be good. I'm going to roast some garlic, and then grind it all up together!