Friday, September 07, 2007

Sun pickles

I made my first jar of pickles this week. They turned out really good if I do say so myself. They are sun pickles. Good enought that my boss wanted the recipe. There is this farmer's market not far from my place and they had the little cucs on sale for $.99 lb and they had a recipe that they gave out.

3# of cucs
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup Kosher salt (I used about 1/3 cup of salt and I think you could get by with less)
2 table spoons of pickling spice.

Wash the cucs put them in 1 gallon jar add above and then fill with water.
Let sit in sun for three days and shake once a day.

Ok I also added part of a habanero pepper chopped up, 1/3 walla walla sweet onion and 2 cloves of garlic and some fresh dill, but that wasn't in the recipe. I had everything except the cucs and the pickling spice. My friend gave me the dill and the onion from his garden. My boss gave me the habanero that she grew in her garden. I'm into it about $7. Most of that cost was the pickling spice and if I'd waited 1 day my boss would have given me that. Around here people you know have gardens so they always give you stuff.

Who says food isn't interesting to blog about!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

MMMmmmm Sounds tasty! I might have to try that recipe.

don said...

It was very easy to do. The hardest thing was washing the cucs and that wasn't very hard.

Diane Lowe said...

I really want to try this now!

I really love dill pickles. I'm sure these taste so spicy and delicious!

My mom makes Chinese pickles every now and then with cabbage, carrots, celery, etc. I miss that fresh spicy pickle flavor!

So are these all eaten now or do you have lots left? If you've dreamed up new pickle recipes, let me know!

don said...

It is seriously easy to make this Diane. And best part, no cooking. What I can't get over is how crisp they are.

No doubt you can back off the salt. Mine aren't too salty, but it just seemed like a lot of salt to me. I'd go with 1/4 cup salt and a little more than 1/2 cup vinegar.

And next time I'm going to go hotter on the peppers. I expect this to heat up over time and these are kind of spicy but I think I could have gone a little hotter. I like things hot.

Not sure how long they will last in the refrigerator but I'm working on them. It's a pretty big jar. If I still have some by Friday and I think I will, I'll take them to the company BBQ as we all have to bring something. I signed up to bring potato salad. I make pretty good potato salad.

don said...

I don't know, they aren't too salty so perhaps 1/3 cup salt. You need the salt to preserve them.

Diane Lowe said...

Mmmm. I love potato salad.