Friday, September 28, 2007

Deer cake

I made dinner for my mom and my sister tonight. Italian meat balls. One of the best things I make. They are these great big meat balls that have a soft mozzarella cheese center. Despite how big they are they turn out really light. Everyone I've made this for has wanted the recipe (except my mom) But my sister does. I didn't know if she'd like it or not. I'll post that recipe on my blog but not tonight.

Mom brought dessert in the form of this deer cake. It celebrates hunting season. I thought it was kind of cool in a western art sort of way.

Check out a picture of the whitetail deer I shot HERE I think it's nicer than the one on the cake .

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

What flavor cake was it?

don said...

It's a chocolate cake, with way too much white frosting on the sides. The cake part of it wasn't bad.

Diane Lowe said...

Ahh.

I'm always a little disappointed in commercially-made cakes because they're really not all that good!

My mom used to decorate cakes for a living and she would always do a good job. But she also knew all the dirty secrets about those pre-made cakes.

There's a little bakery in El Segundo where they make yummy cakes in "specialty"-type flavors. They're really fancy and delicious.

I wish the mass-produced cakes were like those specialty cakes.

don said...

The best thing about this cake was the graphics. I still have the picture part left as I took the cake to the lake. We sat around by the fire with the neighbors, ate cake, and drank local cider and talked politics. That might have been the best part.