Monday, September 03, 2007

Bighorn sheep

I went to Montana for the weekend. I tend to go there if you haven't noticed. I'm afraid I'm going to go there one of these days and I just won't return. Not only do I keep going back to Montana, I keep going up to Gacier Park. Pictures just don't do Glacier Park justice. You really must go there sometime if you haven't been there. It's hard to imagine how big the mountains are.

I was way up in the high country yesterday and took this photo of these bighorn rams. Usually it is hard to get this close to them, but it has been so hot and dry that they are coming into places they usually don't. They are interesting animals. They are so casual most of the time. Just moments before I took this photo these two were pointed in the same direction and raised up and smacked heads together. What a cool thing to see and hear! The next moment it was like nothing ever happened.

4 comments:

Megan said...

That is one of the most amazing sounds I have ever heard!

don said...

There is something sort of timeless about those sheep.

I was thinking, that goat you have might even take a shot at you if you turn your back on him! That's a very nice goat BTW.

Diane Lowe said...

I like bighorn sheep. I think they're one of the most interesting animals native to North America.

That must have been cool to hear the sound of their heads smacking together. Kind of like two giant coconuts.

don said...

Yes Diane, they just raised up and SMACK! Then it was over and they got beyond it. I wish people could get beyond conflicts so easy as these sheep do.