Monday, September 24, 2007

Boat trip to Wildhorse Island

Saturday, I decided to take the skiff over to WILDHORSE ISLAND. I've added this photo to my Flathead Lake photos on the side bar, so check those out! Going to the islands is always an adventure as it's a very big lake.

The skiff is safe however. A 13.5 foot whaler type with an old 40 horse Johnson outboard. I talk about it on the blog quite a bit, so here it is. It isn't the boat I went over to winterize. All you have to do with this one is lower the motor and let the water drain out. I love this little boat. If I could only keep one of my boats I'd keep this one.

So I named it after Aunt Gertrude as she was such a tough and thrifty old lady. She used to have a cabin on this lake when I was growing up. I have lots of aunts and lots of boats so I can name each boat after an aunt. But this is the only one that I've actually done it with.

I hiked up to the highest point on the west side and I was most likely the only person on the island. The skiff is beached below me and to my right in that bay. I'm looking north towards Glacier Park. There are lots of big game animals on the island including bighorn sheep, so I sat in my position and watched some great big mule deer move around at a distance with my field glasses.

I took the photos of the skiff and sunset as I left the island and came out of that bay. Night closed in on the lake, and it was dark when I got back to the cabin.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

The photo of the lake is very pretty. I like how the pink light is reflected on the water's surface.

I'm sure Aunt Gertrude would be happy that you named a boat after her! :)

don said...

When I got back to the cabin it had already clouded up and rained all that night and all the next day.

I took Aunt Gertrude out on her last boat ride on the lake before she died several years ago. It was just the two of us on the whole bay. I caught two fish and she really got a kick out of that. It was a fall evening and much like the other night on the lake.