Sunday, December 14, 2008

The trouble with compact fluorescent

Here's what I wrote about compact fluoresecent bulbs back when. Of course I started out writing about Nixon first...

Yesterday I started to write about President's day and it morphed into why I thought it was a mistake for Ford to pardon Nixon.

It just irked me when Ford died that everyone made such a big deal of how wise he was for pardoning Nixon. What the heck!? All it did was set the bar really low for people like W, I thought... And on the subject of W, I would have caught the shoe thrown, or at least made some sort of a martial arts motion with my hands... Grasshopper! How cool would that have been? It was perhaps Bush's last chance to do something cool.

I have another thing on my mind today. These little fluorescent energy saving light bulbs. The little curly bulbs. I got tired having regular light bulbs burn out all of the time so I bought a package of four of these. Well one of them burned out the moment I turned it on, so now I have to take it back. Then I found out that these bulbs contain mercury and should be recycled and not just thrown away. I'm pretty sure if I just take it back they will just throw it away. There is only one store that has taken responsibility for the bulbs that they sell in Washington and that is Ikea. Now I'm thinking that perhaps these things aren't such a great idea after all. I guess there is only one place in the state to recycle them. I need to look into this more.

Here is the link Lamp Recycle dot org that I found back then. And here is a link to my original post.

No comments: