Thursday, July 13, 2006

Common ground

Today I rode to work, rode at lunch and then rode home, a total of 27 miles. I'm kind of tempted to go back out as I'm feeling kind of fresh despite the windy conditions today. I really need to keep my digital camera with me at all times as photo opps are always there when I don't have it. I did bring it to work in my backpack but did not take it on my mid-day ride. On that ride I first rode up on the wheel of two gals. I love riding with women as they are usually friendly and usually aren't trying to prove anything. Plus the conversations are almost always more interesting than conversations with men. They were very nice women and there was some good spirit in them as we joked about the wind. I did have a time frame and was trying to get miles in so I rode on, but I would have liked to have spent more time with them.

Then I passed two LDS missionaries going the other direction so I waved at them and they both waved back. It was kind of odd as I had missionaries in the back of my mind since coming across Diane's blog. I got to my turn around point and knew I'd catch back up to them so I decided to see if I could find some common ground with them despite our differences. I'm on my racing bike with my spandex and they are on their mountain bikes all kitted out with their LDS cycling outfits. (black slacks and shoes, white shirts, neckties, helmets, backpacks and mountain bikes.) So we do have our differences but at the same time, we share the same beautiful day and nice bike path. I figure we must have some things in common in a bicycle log sort of way.

I did ride up on them, and to my good fortune they were stopped along side the trail and one of them, the leader was writing something in a little note book. Clearly there was a leader and a follower. It took me only a few seconds to figure this out. So I slowed down and came up to them.

I'm always friendly to missionaries. I try and joke with them and send them away with some positive vibes. I know they must have some very unforgiving days. A good show to watch if it ever comes on PBS again is Get The Fire. It was on Independant Lens. HERE It is about LDS missionaries in Germany.

How's it going? I asked. Good, how are you? they responded. Not bad. (I circled) Do you guys keep track of your miles? No! the leader responded. and he kept writing in his notebook (I'm thinking, I'm not going to find any cycling common ground and I've made them uncomfortable as I initiated contact) Well how many miles each day do you think you ride. The follower smiled and said About 20 miles a day. Cool I said. You will be in good shape at the end of the summer. I figured I had rattled their cages enough and I still had lots of miles to get back to work on time. But I left at least the follower with a big smile on his face. So perhaps we did find some common ground.

But they were slacking a little or perhaps on their lunch break. And this has to be the easiest place in the world to be on a mission. But who am I to judge?

No comments: