Sunday, July 02, 2006

TDF day 1

One of the things I like the most about watching the Tour de France on TV is seeing all of the places in France that I'll probably never get to go to. I just like looking at all of the scenery and all of the buildings big and small. Perhaps someday I'll be able to take a bicycle tour vacation in France. Our company gives away a vacation to one employee each year. It isn't enough to pay for everything but might pay for the flights. If I won I'd probably use it to ski race.

My body is on the mend. I don't think I've ever been that sick. I lost 10 lbs in the process. In the last three days I've only had 1 bowl of corn flakes, one piece of toast, some yogurt and some pasta salad. I did transport my bike to a place on the Centenial Trail where it goes along the Spokane River in the trees. A place I used to ride with my friend Yulia. It was almost 90 degrees but somewhat cooler along there. While I was unloading my bike at the trail entrance two riders came up from the trail looking for water. They asked me where they could find water. I only had my bottle. I told them where there was a drinking fountain and it was about 7 miles away. They weren't out yet. The riders were middle aged men and quite over weight at least for cyclists, but they had some very nice equipment. I have to give them credit for getting envolved in the sport. I was a little concerned however as it was really hot and I have seen people down with heart attacks. It could happen to anyone.

So I crawled on my bike and was very glad I did. I went very slow and listened to classical music on my headphones. It felt really good to be back on my bike and out of my sick bed. My stomach could feel every bump in the trail. I only went 6 miles and very slowly. I happy about this weight loss, and I need to capitalize on it and cycle more miles each day.

No comments: