Sunday, November 04, 2007

How many leaves have fallen?

Almost all of the leaves are on the ground in my home town. People rake them into the street for the city to come by and sweep up. It makes great big piles of leaves. I don't have big piles of leaves like that where I live now. I remember as a kid jumping into these big piles of leaves and how much fun it was. You could hide under them and get them down the back of your shirt. They have a smell that you don't forget. It was nice to smell that smell again.

I went for a walk Saturday afternoon with my mom. Some people would rake the leaves into the street and others would not. Some places the sidewalk was clear of leaves and other places it wasn't. Mom would drag her feat through the piles of leaves as she walked. It made a sound, whoosh whoosh whoosh, as she walked along, and it left a trail in the leaves. I could smell the leaves as she walked.

I looked down at a clear spot on the sidwalk and saw the footprint of a dog in the concrete. It reminded me of those dinosaur footprints in the river bed that later turned to stone. The leaves reminded me of a distant time too. My childhood.

Someone's dog left its foot prints in this sidewalk in 1918. There's a date stamp in the concrete on the corner.

I wonder how many leaves have fallen since then?

3 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Aw, I like that photo!

I saw the cutest Border Collie puppy the other day when I went to the post office. He was clean and just a little furry bundle of joy!

The smell of fall leaves is a good one. I don't think Yankee Candle will make a fragrance for it yet though. They discontinued my favorite scent - a watery lavender they called "Stormwatch". I like their "Cinnamon Stick" and "Vanilla Cupcake" too.

don said...

I bought a candle at the store, I think it is vanilla. But now I've been burning the smudge sticks I made this summer out of cedar and sage.

The Wordpecker said...

Great photo! I like the way you described your mom walking in the leaves. I love the sound and the feel of walking through a thick cover of leaves...that and walking on a soft bed of pine needles.