Thursday, November 29, 2007

0 carbon

This guy always walks or rides a bike to work. During the summer he rides a cheap mountain bike, the kind that only costs $100, not that much for a bike these days, but his bike is in perfect condition. I often pass him when I ride my bike to work but he never takes the bike path, he always goes along this road. The bike path has a hill on it at one point and I suspect that's why he stays on the road. I think this guy is an engineer and works in the light industrial area where I work, but I'm guessing. He has engineer written all over him, but I have to give him credit. He walks or rides to work no matter what the weather and all year around. He walks at least 4 miles each way. An 8 mile hike each day isn't nothing. One time it was pouring down rain and I pulled over to offer him a ride home and he politely refused. Today it had snowed. I took this picture through my windshield. One thing however, he was going to be late for work as I was running late and had about 2 miles left to go.

I have no idea what his motivation for not driving is. It might be for excercise. It might be because there is no transit where we are coming from in this direction. Who knows, but I totally respect this guy. I've been thinking about walking to work in the winter also. I'm not quite there yet. But I'll probably at least try it by doing a "test walk/ hike". I expect the walk to take over an hour each direction.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Maybe it gives him time to think, while he gets his exercise. :)

I always thought it was safer to walk to class than drive when I lived off-campus. Ice and other moving cars are pretty scary to deal with on foot, let alone another vehicle!

don said...

It's not very safe where this guy walks as cars are going pretty fast there.