Sunday, December 09, 2007

George Gogas

While I've been here, I was invited to go to an art show featuring my highschool art teacher George Gogas. I've considered him my most important teacher. He taught me how to work in pastel and to do portraits. It's something that isn't always taught now as not that many people really know how to do it. George is a master at it. So I've found it a great value in my life. His regular work is somewhat abstract however. The two paintings behind him have a western theme as you can see Charles Russell (famous Montana artist) in the one on the right and a cowboy in the one on the left if you look close, but most of the others are "just paint on a canvas" as he would say. It was nice to hear him speak about art again. That's George with the necktie.

Mom did better today BTW, but is still not ready to be released.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Cool!

It's great to have influential teachers. It's even better when they're recognized in the community!

don said...

Yes it was cool that he was at the Missoula Art Museum. There were several shows around town, but I think this was the main event. Some sort of First Night thing.