Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Over and over

I should be taking photos of Christmas lights and I will I promise. Just not tonight. I've never been too much in the Christmas spirit on any given year. If I were in politics, perhaps I'd introduce legislation to celebrate Christmas every four years like the Olympics or something. That would probably suck for our economy however. Gone are the days when we made things for our friends and family. (with some exceptions I know) But if we were all making things for eachother then I doubt the malls would be so crowded. If people started to make gifts for eachother, my 401k would probably tank.

One thing I always do on Christmas eve is watch the pope on TV. I'm not Catholic, so why do I do this? Well for one reason I really liked JP. He really did remind me of my dad. Benedict reminds me more of my grandmother. She was German too. While I was going to the hospital every day there was a quote in the elevator from Benedict. I can't remeber what it said despite reading it over and over.

Another thing I did over and over was drive into this underground parking lot at the hospital. Mom was released from the hospital BTW. Now she has people coming to stay with her while she fully recovers. I'll be staying with her this weekend and through Christmas. She will need another operation in a few weeks but it won't be so bad. So I'll be going back down into this parking lot in the near future again.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I am so glad to read that your mom is out of the hospital. What a nice Christmas gift!

And I would vote for your plan of Christmas every 4 years! YIPEE!

The Wordpecker said...

It must be nice to have your Mom back at home. Glad to hear she's doing well.

Christmas every 4 years you say? I couldn't imagine a year without Christmas. I love the lights, the colours, the decorations. I love the way that the season brings out the best in (most) people. Some people are somehow more friendly, more happy. To top it off, there is not any other thing that happens in the year that I enjoy more than Christmas Eve at church. It feels sacred to me.

Call my old-fashioned but....

don said...

Thank you for the well wishes.

Yes, it was nice that my mom got to get out of the hospital for Christmas. Her sister is staying with her right now. I'll be back with her soon as I'm in a different state.

I think the best thing is that her cancer was only stage 1 and doesn't need Chemo or radiation. That is the real blessing in all of this.

I just wish Christmas was more about religion and not about consumerism. Perhpas we could have a leap Christmas every now and then? :)