Thursday, February 28, 2008

Tubular man

I bought some new tires for my bike thinking it would motivate me to get on it as soon as the weather allows. Gas prices and all, I want to start riding to work and loose some of my winter fat. Actually I have a couple of sets of wheels and now my bike will have the same tires on both sets of wheels. They are Michelin tires. I'm not really endorsing them, it's just that they are the narrowest clinchers you can get (20) and they have a low rolling resistance. I'm kind of a tubular guy but all of the new consumer stuff has clincher tires.

People think it's easier and less expensive to fix a flat with clinchers. Just replace the tube. I've heard it all. It might be less expensive but it's actually easier to change out a flat with tubulars on the road. Much easier. The ride just isn't the same with clinchers as it is with tubulars, and a point of fact, Lance Armstrong always rode on tubular tires on all of his Tours de France, and get this, he never had a flat from what I understand. I'm not saying that you can't get a flat on tubulars, I've had many. I still have one bike with tubulars on it. My vintage Gitane.

No comments: