Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bighorn Ram

Ok Curt.. this Bighorn picture is for you! :) Click on the picture to get up close and personal. It seemed that everywhere I went in Montana Sunday I ran into Bighorns! I'm not kidding. This one was about 50 miles from the others in my last post. I'm pretty sure you know where this is Curt, but we won't tell anyone else... None of these rams were like the one I saw on Wild Horse Island though. That BIGHORN was a monster and one of the biggest Bighorns I've ever seen. I got really close to that one too.

Fact is,.. I think I'm going to put together a collection of my Bighorn photos on the side bar for all to see :) I've been thinking about that for a while now, as Bighorns are my favorite big game animal and I have quite a few photos.

6 comments:

TRM said...

That's pretty cool to get that close to one of these guys.

don said...

A couple of years ago when I was hiking on the highline trail in Glacier Park one of them came running down the trail. At first when I saw it coming at me in the distance I thought it was a grizzly bear as it just looked like a big brown body and I only got a glimps of it. When it was out of sight around a corner I hunkered down and took of my pack to use it as a shield. Then this big ram ran right past me and looked me right in the eye as it went by. That was really something. It was really steep where I was and there was no place to get very far off of the trail. It came within inches of me. I've been really close to them several times.

The thing I've found out about them is that they just do whatever they want.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful shot of a young Ram.... yet another beautiful shot!

It does look young from the angle I see...here's how to tell if a Ram is "Full Curl";

Find the spot on the front of the face where horn meets hide.
If you were to draw an imaginary straight line from that point through the front of the eye socket, some portion of the front curl of the horn must pass through that line. This Ram's left horn looks closer to that point than the right one does. I'm not sure if both horns have to meet that criteria, or only one of them.

Nonetheless... another spectacular photo!

don said...

Yep, none of the rams I saw that weekend were very old. This one's horns are really thin too. It isn't very old. I went buy a group the day before and I didn't even bother to stop, but this one was so close I couldn't resist.

Jules said...

You're so lucky to see so many of them!! I went with my BF to the mountains here two weeks ago and we saw plenty of elk, and there were plenty of signs for Bighorn.. but we didn't see any!!! Grrr...

I'd love to see your photo collection of them... go for it, put it on the sidebar!

don said...

I've been thinking about making some changes.