Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bighorn sheep photos

I call this picture, "bighorn behind fence". I'm just kidding... I actually call it "barbed wire and bighorn". Well not really... I'm afraid if I'd gotten out of the car the sheep would have skedaddled, and then I'd have to call the pictures "bighorns in the distance". :)

There were some bighorn sheep next to the highway in Montana today and they were horny. ( Sorry,..I couldn't resist) The rams were trying to cut out ewes for themselves so they were pushing eachother around. It was kind of fun to watch. One moment it was like nothing was going on and all of the sheep were grazing, and the next moment one of the rams would cop an attitude and spring into action.

8 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Nice. You always have great wildlife photos!

don said...

Thanks, it's kind of too bad about the fence however.

Diane Lowe said...

Photoshop!!!! :)

don said...

I kind of like the fence. It reminds me that there are certian boundries I just can't cross :)

Anonymous said...

Personally, I wish you would stop posting all these wildlife photos.

You're going to have every Tom, Dick and Harry thinking they need to move to Montana, because there's game around every bend!

Just kidding... it's more like bragging up our state. Although you do, with your photos, make it seem like wildlife is extremely abundant here. You must carry something in your pocket to enable yourself to seem to be so close to them all the time.

Another nice bunch of photos.

don said...

Good point Curt... Those bighorn sheep were on an Indian reservation and can't even be hunted by the natives from what I understand and I'm just lucky they were around when I went by.

The game department is building the herds around the state. They say that Wild Horse is overpopulated right now so they move them from there to spots around the state.

I took the pictures from my car with my itty bitty Nikon and its 3x lens. I was pretty close.. but not as close as the photo in the next post.

Diane Lowe said...

Don is extremely lucky. I rarely, if ever, saw wildlife up-close-and-personal when I was in Montana.

He must have a lucky token or something in his pocket!

don said...

You just have to "be the bighorn" Diane,.. :) Remember,.. ewe the ram!

What can I say, they like me. But that does make me a little nervous.. This is Montana after all, and they are technically sheep...