Monday, January 28, 2008

Bread and butter

I don't think I need dishes anymore. I can just eat right out of the thing I cooked the food in. Well at least some of the time anyway. When I was helping my mom I couldn't believe how many dishes we used for the most basic meal. Each thing on the table had a dish to serve it out of and its own spoon. We always had a knife even if there was no use for it. And then we would wash the dishes that weren't used... I'ts crazy!

It's crazy... When my dad was alive he aways wanted bread and butter with every meal. Now my mom always askes me if I want bread. I'm like mom, we're having fish and rice. I guess old habits,..

I watched the state of the union address tonight. I have nothing to say about this except that I watched it. I had heard that it would be something about legacy. It left me flat, as did the democratic response. I have to wonder about Bush's presidential library though. He said he reads a lot of books each year. 500 books or something. Or was it 50?... I'd be thrilled if I read 5.

2 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

I totally understand the dish thing. At my house (the one I grew up in and the one I now live in) the dishes that you cooked the meal in are not permitted on the table. If it's Sunday dinner or a special occasion, I use serving dishes. If it's an everyday meal, I serve the dishes in the kitchen and put only the bare necessities on the table.

I guess my thinking is that "presentation is half the meal" which means the table has to look good. It's hard to dress up a pot.

don said...

There's something to be said for proper table etiquette and manners.