Thursday, January 10, 2008

Repulbican debate coverage

I try not to get political on bicycle log, but I'm totally into watching these debates.

I think I've seen at least part of or all of the presidential debates, both republican and democrat. I try to rank who won each fairly despite my bias. (I'm supporting Obama) I've also tried to watch each candidate when they appear on Meet the Press or Face the Nation.

So here's how I would rank the republicans tonight on the Fox debate;

1. Paul
2. Huckabee
3. Giuliani
4. Romney
5. McCain
6. Thompson

And here's why;

Paul was recently on Meet The Press and both my mom and I (who is a republican) thought he didn't understand the issues and didn't really have what it took to be president. He didn't show well at all on MTP as Russert got the best of him. But tonight he was on point and defended himself and his positions well and made sense.

Huckabee also was on point and answered the religious right question about marriage very well I thought. I didn't think he screwed up at all. I didn't agree with the "gates of hell" if you mess with the states because I'm not sure that would be a good foreign policy but I thought it played well as far as a republican debate goes.
(I went to Hellgate Highschool in Missoula Montana. if we sent people who messed with the United States to Hellgate Highschool, then they might think twice before they screwed with us! :)

Giuliani also made strong and convincing arguments for why he should lead and it was the best showing I think he's had. I should probably put him into 2nd position, but Huckabee made a bigger impression.

Romney was on message and consistent but I thought he was somewhat defensive. The attack on Paul also put me off and I think took him off point and made him look shallow. Same with McCain.

I have the greatest respect for McCain, but he said things that I thought were stereotypical. The burka comment. Plus he took what I thought were cheap shots at Paul. I didn't understand his motivation for that, and I thought it took him off message and showed a chink in his personality armor. The burka comment dated him to his generation when it might have been ok to find fault in another culture's mores or rules if you will. It migh be ok if you are trying to win over a certian demographic. I thought the attack on Paul and the burka comment were big mistakes.

Thompson was more prepared than he has ever been, but I still didn't see any real motivation. People might have begged him to run but nobody is going to beg him to be president. I have no idea what his motivation is. The "virgin" comment was in poor taste I thought like the McCain burka comment. I think they both showed their age when they are willing to make statements like this.

So there it is. I thought Edwards won the last democratic debate and yet he finished last in the NH primary.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Is Ron Paul even really alive...he looks like a zombie half of the time!

I bet you and your mom have some interesting talks, when it comes to politics.

don said...

My mom is a memeber of the local "Pachyderm Club", a local republican club that meets once a week and has local politicians from both parties and others come and speak to them. She hasn't gone since her first operation. We watched the NH debates together last Saturday. She also works on the election board. Yes, we differ on a few issues.

I think Ron Paul is hard of hearing. He often says he doesn't hear the questions. One thing he wants to do is get rid of the IRS. He has quite a bit of support and was the most entertaining in the debate. I though he did really well, unlike when he was on Meet the Press.