Sunday, January 06, 2008

It really is about the journey

I should be home petting Spunky my cat right now but my car konked out not quite half way home and before I got back into Idaho. There was a lot of slush on the road and I constantly had to clean my windshield as trucks passed me. The wipers started going slower and slower and I knew what whas going on. Finally I couldn't go any farther and the car quit as a drove off of the shoulder into pretty deep snow. It was kind of in the middle of no where. Thankfully I had a cell phone and called home. My mom called a tow truck and in about 20 min here it came from a small town. The guy was cool but woudln't take me anywhere except to his shop in that town. That actually worked out pretty well.

I knew the alternator was shot. Curt and I had just been talking about the same thing happening to him. I didn't want to stay in this little town even though they had a decent motel, and didn't really want them working on my car as it would have taken a day as they would have to get the part sent in, so I bought a battery from him, the only one that he had that fit my car. And drove it back to my mom's place about 80 miles or so on battery alone without using anything electrical in the car. I did have to use the wipers a couple of times again, but by this time the water on the road had started to freeze and there wasn't as much traffic going in that direction. I wasn't really sure if it would make it that far but it did. I couldn't go in the direction of my home in Washington as there were two mountain passes to go over, worse snow and slush conditions and it would have gotten dark on me. So after I put the new battery in, I pointed back into Montana where I'd spent the weekend with my mom.

I made it back into town and pulled into mom's garage. I had about 20 min before 5:00 pm on a Sunday and found an auto parts store just down the street that had my alternator. $275. I got to the auto parts store with about 5 minutes until they closed. I'll get $100 for the old one when I return it in the morning. So I removed the old one and installed the new one. Thankfully I had my sockets with me. It took me an hour and a half.

I'll make another attempt at getting home again tomorrow. I'm trying to see an up-side to all of this but I can't really find one other than I did get to have dinner again with my mom, and I guess I could be stuck in that little town for a day or two while those guys worked on my car. They weren't bad guys however. I found out that the owner knew my friend George. It's a small world,... planet Montana. You just have to drive a long way through snow wind and rain to get out of orbit.

6 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Oh wow!

I'm so glad you're OK Don!

Car problems are so frustrating.

Be safe getting home today!

don said...

Thanks. Car works and I made it back. Drove straight to work. A 200 mile commute.

The Wordpecker said...

It's funny. I'm sure it was a complete bummer for you but all I can think about as I read your post is that I would have NO IDEA what to do. I would likely have been ripped off by the garage who could easily have talked me into buying a new car instead of just an alternator. I'm so wishing I had taken auto shop in high school.

Glad it all worked out for you!

don said...

Well WP, I've been in that position before and I always have my tools with me and could have easily spent the night with food water and lots of warm clothes. I've done it before and I would have been fine all night, but this was a really bad place to do that.

It was a corner next to a steep hillside. Passing semi trucks coated my car with brown slush in and I couldn't see a thing from inside of it. I drove it into pretty deep snow to get it off of the road as much as possible. Were the car stopped made for a difficult situation. It needed to be towed. The first snow plow that came by would have burried me. So staying there in it wasn't an option.

I made it clear to the tow truck driver that I'd fix it myself. They provide a good service but your options are somewhat limited and they won't tow you to the nearest dealership and in a way that doesn't make sense. But this is Montana and people are cool for the most part if you are nice to them.

The biggest problem was when I got it back to my mom's place and had to quickly decide if I wanted to buy the part. I had to figure out if I could actually replace it myself as these new cars aren't exactly easy to work on. So after looking it over for a few minutes trying to figure out if I could get to all of the bolts I went for it and it all worked out.

TRM said...

Planet Montana, that's pretty funny. It never fails to boggle my wife's mind that whenever I start talking to somebody from Montana that there's a pretty good chance that we are going to know some of the same people.

Glad to hear that your Mom is doing better.

Beuatiful snow/tree pics, miss the snow, it's been raining here for months now. They tease us with the threat of snow down to the valley floor, but it never materializes. I know you are probably getting more than enough of it, but I sure would like to see a little bit of it on the ground here for a day or two.

don said...

Thanks Ted. You want snow? I have enough now. I'll sell you some.