Sunday, June 18, 2006

ATV adventure


I just returned from my ATV adventure in Montana. I have to say that it was very relaxing and a great experience. Kirk is a true outdoorsman/ woodsman/ naturalist. Also a great cook and you can't believe how good the meat products are that come out of his kitchen and smokehouse. There are honestly none better. The next morning we had Elk sausage, biscuits and gravey. It was so darn good... As far as food goes, I was in Celestial Kingdom!

I have to tell you that I had a bad taste in my mouth aout ATVs and still have issues about them especially for hunting. I don't think they offer "fair chase". But in this situation there is little or no impact. I guess it is all in how you use things and how many people are around. There was nobody for miles and miles... and miles. We went about 40 miles. If you broke down out there you would need a good plan B.

It was darn cold in them thar hills! I used my ski warm up, my downhill helmet,goggles, and gloves. Except for the jeans and lack of snow, I'm ready to take a ski run. There was snow on some of the peaks you can't see in this view. The cold doesn't bother Kirk none, he's used to it. I'm on the left with my ski kit, and Kirk is on the right with his hat. Those ATV 4 wheelers are very big powerful machines and they cost more than I payed for my car, but they are pretty easy to drive once you get the hang of it as long as you stay on an established logging road and don't get crazy. You can pull off of the road from time to time but it is best for the environment to stay on regular roads and not create new ones used only for these things.

Montana is a big country. You can see in the photo why they call it Big Sky Country. I don't know if you can tell how high up on the mountain tops we were. It was really cool. Thanks for a great time Kirk!

No comments: