Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ironman arives

The Ironman triathlon has returned to North Idaho and Eastern Washington. It will take place this weekend. The bike route goes right on my path to work. So now there are all of these cyclists on time trial bikes on the path to work. It's pretty cool. Sadly I won't be here on the weekend or I would get some snaps. I'll try later in the week to get some of these men and women as they train this week.

Today I was stopped buy an Italian guy on a TT bike who was asking for directions and if he was on the Ironman bike route. I told him yes but I don't know enough Italian words to tell him I wasn't completely sure of the route. I had my camera with me but didn't have the presence of mind to ask him for his photo.

One of the women I work with always volunteers to hand out water on part of the run. It's pretty cool to have such a big event here. For some stupid reason they didn't have a good purse for the women here last year but they've changed that this year from what I understand.

The only other event of this level for women cyclists in Idaho used to be the HP challenge, and was one of the biggest women's pro cycle races in the country. All of the top pros were there including Jeannie Longo, who won more bike races than anyone man or woman I believe, and did so into her 40s. I wanted to travel to Bosie to see a stage or two but they quit holding the race a couple of years ago.

Today was a beautiful day to be on a bike and not in a car. The air was cool and the sun was warm. I had to work late, and on my ride home there were many cyclists on the trail. It's inspirational.

No comments: