Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Zimbabwe

Our heat wave continues. Riding to work in the morning on my bike hasn't been bad as it is still cool, but riding at lunch is out of the question right now as we don't have showers at work. Yesterday morning I took off a little late for work on my bike and got a mile down the road and realized that I left my water bottle on the front porch. So I debated it for a while and decided to turn back and get it. Then I had to throttle it all the way to work. Not something I like to do. This morning I didn't enjoy my ride to work as much as I thought I might. Even though my backpack was light I couldn't get comfortable on the bike and wasn't getting much return out of the bike. Probably because I stayed up late watching TV.

There was a documentary about Zimbabwe on Frontline last night. I had been reading a diary of a white farmer in Zimbabwe on the BBC website a couple of years ago. Among other things, Robert Mugabe took farms from white farmers in a land redistribution. It has been a disaster for Zimbabwe. He has also taken over the press and banned foreign reporters. About a year ago he had a program called clean up the filth, supposedly aimed at those engaged in a black market. So they went around buldozing people's houses down. It's really sad.

After I watched that, Lance Armstrong was on the Charlie Rose show. He wanted to focus the conversation on his efforts against cancer and not on the drug issue. Charlie Rose took it really easy on him. If I were Lance, I think I'd just stay away from the press.

No comments: