Thursday, June 08, 2006

My new sail


Here is a photo of my new windsurfing sail. It is actually a couple of years old and I bought it second hand from a guy who is an expert. He buys all new sails every few years. He did give me instruction using it at the gorge, the mecca of windsurfing in the states, on the Columbia river between Washington and Oregon. It is a Northwave and made right at the gorge.

Windsurfing has a huge learning curve to it. I've been doing it for about 10 years and I'm still just an intermediate at best. But I'm working on it. It is far more high impact than I ever imagined when I started. It isn't for people who can't deal with a little punishment. But there is nothing like flying over the water using one of these things. For me alpine skiing is still better but just because I've done it longer and I'm better at it. Plus I ski race so that is even more interesting.

Windsurfing is like free skiing, and free skiing got boring to me over the years, so I started to ski race. Ski racing is the most exciting thing I've ever done.

None the less windsurfing is a good feeling. I've almost given up on it several times and gone back to just sailing the Hobie Cat. But there is something about windsurfing that keeps calling me out. I'm going to spend a little time with this sail this weekend if the wind fills in.

No comments: