Monday, February 26, 2007

2 out of 4

Ok, now 2 out of the 4 compact fluorescent light bulbs that I bought at Home Depot have failed. The first one failed the moment I turned it on, and the second one failed tonight. It was in a hallway light. I turned it on and the whole thing didn't light up. Then I turned it off and turned it back on and then it went Zzzzt Zzzzt and poped and out.

I bought them on the second of this month. They are supposed to last 9 years. I have the packaging and the receipt. And I'm taking them back. They had better take them back or I'll throw a fit. They were $8.86. I'm not sure these things are even safe. The ballast part of the one that just went out was really hot and smelled like an electrical fire. I think it could have actually caused a fire in my house.

Bicycle log does not endorse compact fluorescent light bulbs. At least not N:VISION brand ones. They appear to save money because the don't light up half the time. Plus hey have mercury in them, and I think Yahoo and Austrailia, and whoever else is promoting these things haven't thought this over very well.

Update:

I did take the light bulbs back tonight after work and got my money back. The gal was like "I've never had any problem" And then I went to select some Edison bulbs and the guy working there was acting like I should try these compact bulbs. I told him my story and he was blown away. Then he started to look at me like I was crazy. Perhaps if they sold more than just one brand I would have exchanged them. But no way was I going to exchange my defective bulbs for more of the same thing.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

It seems to be hit and miss on whether the bulbs will fail or not. Obviously there is some design flaw.

Did Home Depot take them back? Was there a helpful orange-smocked representative who could steer you towards using a better brand or bulb rating?

Megan said...

my electric company left one of those bulbs last month when they read my meter. i haven't used it yet, and after reading your stories, not sure if i will or not.

on another light bulb rant...a light bulb in my light fixture, on my desk, at work exploded yesterday! it made that Zzzzzt Zzzzzt sound and then BOOM! little shards of bulb flew everywhere. oh well.

don said...

diane, I haven't taken them back yet. I think I'll have to take all 4 back in, including the two that still work and just get my money back and then get some of the Edison design. (I won't throw a fit)

megan, my gosh! also, it makes you wonder what interest the power company has in people using less electricity. (?) Perhaps they own the compact ligth bulb company, or the mercury recycling company.

The Wordpecker said...

Aaaaaaah. Now I get it. Now I know why they were giving them away up here. I think the project was called Operation Porch Light.

Imagine having Megan's light bulb in your porch. Ding Dong, light switches on...BOOM! I don't care what kind of welcome mat you have, nothing is going to excuse an exploding porch light. :)