Monday, February 26, 2007

Black bear man

I had another bear dream the other night. In the dream a bear got in my house from outside and so I hid in an upstairs bedroom. After a while I came out of hiding and went downstairs to look around and see where it went. I'm really not afraid of them as I've come in contact with them at the cabin a number of times. You don't want to get in the wrong situation with them as they are higher on the food chain. I came face to face with one down by the lake one night. I could have touched him on the snout as I was only arms length away. That's a little too close. I had another one run at me while I was on my bike. I took this photo a few miles from the cabin last summer. This sow had at least one cub in those bushes and that's when they can be nasty.

There are quite a few of them around. They tend to do whatever they want. These are black bears, but grizzly bears are known to be around as it isn't far from Glacier Park. I've seen some really big black bears up there. I've also had three great big grizzlys right in front of the car up by the park. There is a good doccumentary to watch sometime if it ever comes on called GRIZZLY MAN. It's about the guy who got eaten along with his girlfriend in Alaska. He was taking crazy risks and filming his encounters. I try to avoid bears but they keep crawling back into my dreams to haunt me at night.

2 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

I saw Grizzly Man. Started watching it by accident actually. I was channel surfing on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I stopped because I thought it was a movie with Owen Wilson (they kind of, sort of look a little bit alike).

Anyhow, I was shocked to see the ending. I had no idea. I guess I missed reading about it in the press when it actually happened.

I have only ever seen one bear in my life (outside of a zoo) and it was a cub. He had climbed a tree in the barnyard. We weren't allowed to play outside again until my Dad was satisfied that the mama bear wasn't hanging around.

don said...

I had a big griz stand right in front of the car one time and I couldn't believe how big it was.

Black bears get pretty big also. I've seen a couple that were darn big. The one that ran at me on my bike was probably over 400 lbs. I was taking a morning bike ride on an access road along the lake. I went around this corner and on the road about 100 yards infront of me was a bear crossing the road going down to the lake. So I stopped. The bear noticed me and stood up on its rear legs and sniffed the air. Then it got down and moved back and forth. I know that's not good behavior. Then it started to run at me. So I took off on my bike in the other direction and went as fast as I could around the corner. I had griz strength pepper spray but standing there and waiting to spray it didn't seem like my best option. A car came from the other direction and got between me and the bear. I think when I went around the corner and out of sight the bear gave up the chase. I've had other encounters.