Tuesday, June 26, 2007

New brakes

I had a weird photo posted here but I took it down. It was a bicycle frame and an antelope. It had to go.

Today I bought a set of Campagnolo Chorus brake calipers for my spare bike frame. CHORUS BRAKES Gosh that's a long link. Campy just changed the design of their brakes and I don't like the look of the new ones, plus one of the two is not dual pivot to save weight. I can tell you that there's nothing worse than cheap brake calipers on a bike and other cheap parts for that matter. Honestly and these are pretty much the nicest calipers ever made if not a little heavier than the Record ones or the new design. And as you can see they are pretty much half off at $129. The problem I'm going to have is getting a high end Campy crank for this frame now. I want a Record or Chorus one. I'll find one, but that is the area where things are really changing, and I need a specific crank arm length. 172.5 So we will see. I've waited several years and now is the time to move on this if not a little late. So I'll buy expensive parts without using them. But when I put it all together it will be a very nice ride.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

That must have been a pretty antelope.

Good luck with finding your crank! I think it's OK to wait on buying nice stuff to put it together later. At least you have a plan.

I have a quilt top that's cut, waiting until I have a sewing machine to assemble it on. It's a nice 4-point star pattern, using a dark blue and "ocean wave" fabrics. I've been thinking about getting some sand-patterned fabric, and incorporating that into the design.

::sigh:: if only nice sewing machines weren't so expensive! If only great bike parts were affordable and findable!!!

don said...

Yes he was a pretty antelope. I figured I'll never get another one so I decided to have this one mounted while I had the chance.

It is becoming something only the very wealthy get to do.

The cranks I want are really expensive. That's why these bikes ending up costing so much.