Sunday, June 03, 2007

Camping photos

Here are a few photos from my camping trip at lake Pend Oreille over the weekend.

This is the view from the boat coming out of Button-hook bay at the south end of the lake. You can anchor your boat or tie it up at the pier and spend the night here.

I went on a mountain bike ride around the park on the roads and trail system. These guys were playing a game
of volleyball at the picnic area that overlooks the bay. The girls all had long skirts on. Gives new meaning to beach volleyball attire. I thought they looked really cool despite how hot out it was. I actually thought they looked hot! Very feminine. They were having a lot of fun. I wish I could have joined in as I love volleyball. Click to see bigger.

The trail goes right along the shore in places. I only saw a few people hiking and a few people on bikes so there were no bike and people conflicts. There are more conflicts at the boat launch, but as you can see there aren't that many boats out.

During WWII Farragut was a naval training center and the government took over the land. After the war it became a state park. If it were still private, then this would all be developed and the public couldn't enjoy it like we can now. The other side of the lake is national forest and there is very little access and often too steep to build. It's nice to see nature instead of great big summer homes.

The yellow stuff in the water is pine pollen. There was a ton of it and more than usual. They say that it doesn't cause allergies, but I woke up this morning really stuffed up. I went swimming at this spot as it was really hot out for this time of year. The water was warm on the surface, but really cold only a few feet down.

And this is the men's changing room at the swimming area. You can probably get arrested for this! I didn't think about what would have happened if someone had walked in and I had my camera out, but I had to get the shot. :)

No risk too great here at bicycle log!

3 comments:

Megan said...

great pictures!

Diane Lowe said...

The photo of the tree on the riverbank is my favorite.

::sigh:: I miss real trees.

don said...

I'm sorry I'm posting such low resolution shots. I really shrink them down to post. I guess I should spring for a photo hosting account.

I tried to get the branches of that tree to frame that one hill on the other side of the lake. I wanted to show the pollen and that was the main reason for that photo. It was really cool to just jump in and go swimming there.