Thursday, June 28, 2007

Testa a testa

Today I received my new Campagnolo Chorus brake calipers for the bike I'm going to build. (when I can afford to buy the parts) I'm not disappointed with the quality as they are beautiful. That's why I stick with Campagnolo. There is an aesthetic in bike parts that the Italians make that is missing from brand X. Plus I know they will work great.

However I was disappointed that they didn't come in a box. Campy makes great boxes and I always save the boxes. They were wrapped in newspaper and in a plastic bag. I figured that since I got them for half off perhaps I didn't pay enough to get the box? I was going to throw the newspaper away but then I noticed that it was an Italian news paper! And it was from the sports page and had a story about Monza and had a photo of a Ferrari on it and a caption that read TESTA A TESTA, and talked about Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso. Formula 1 racers.

Testa means leader in Italian so I assume it means the two leaders, or something like that. I have a friend who is Italian and speaks Italian and could tell me for sure. He is also a serious cyclist. So I thought that was kind of cool. They used the sports page in Milano with a picture of a Ferrari on it to package my brakes!

This is a good sign! And this is a good illustration of why Japanese parts just aren't the same. (I'm not saying they aren't good)

Here is a little Tour de France trivia and also a TDF trivia question: Lance Armstrong was the first person to ever win the Tour de France with a bike equiped with Shimano/ Japanese parts, He was also the first to win on an american bike. He actually rode two american bikes. Trek of course was the main american bike, but what was the other american bike that he rode in a time trial? (it had a Trek decal on it but it wasn't a Trek) So take a guess! I'll give you a hint, It was made out of titanium. I'll give you the answer in my next post.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I know Lance use (maybe still does?) a Litespeed titanium time trial bike, but not sure if this is bike you are talking about.

I am curious now! Might have to start some Googling...

Can't wait to hear what the answer is.

BTW...how cool is that your parts came in an Itlalian newspaper!

Diane Lowe said...

There is an aesthetic in EVERYTHING the Italians do that is missing in almost every culture! :) There's something about completely living life in the moment, enjoying what sweetness it has, and being emotionally present that has a huge appeal to me.

I would guess Testa a Testa means "Leader of Leaders", but don't quote me. It might not even be a good guess!

I don't know any bike racing trivia. :(

don said...

YAY Megan! Yes he used a Litespeed before Trek came up with a good enough time trial bike for him! Well done!

Richard Virenque also used a Litespeed for his regular road bike one year with a different brand on it.

Diane, I thought of that too, but testa della corsa means leader of the race so that is why I guessed the two leaders. But who knows, you might be right. I'll try and find out.

don said...

Yay Diane! I talked to my friend, It does mean leader of the leaders or leader of the lead.

Then it says Michael Schumacher davanti a Fernando Alonso. (Schumacher is ahead of Alonso)