Monday, June 25, 2007

On the rivet

I assume that this guy was an elite competitor in the Ironman triathlon due to his low race number and how much faster than everyone else he was going. He is "on the rivet" as his position on the saddle is so far forward. (you might have to click on the photo to see what I'm talking about) In the old days when everyone had leather saddles they used to have copper rivets on nose and the back. (take a look at the old Brooks Professional leather saddle on my vintage GITANE ) When a rider gets that far forward, it means he or she is really pushing. They design these time trial bike frames with the saddle more forward than a regular road bike but they can't seem to get them forward enough. They need to come up with one that slides back and forward when needed. (you heard it here first!)

That's a very pretty bicycle also. I love the sound those carbon disk wheels make with each pedal stroke. Whoosh whoosh whoosh. I don't think I want to go on any training rides with this guy!

This is the Penalty Tent. I didn't see anyone incarcerated in it. Perhaps it's like hockey and you go there if you get in a fight. :) I have no idea what this is for, but I think we could use one at hunting camp! If you get sent here you can have lunch at a resonable price. Paul Bunyan is a local burger joint that has been in Coeur d Alene as long as I can remember.

4 comments:

Megan said...

that is a nice bike!

what a fun time watching such stellar atheletes. i am not a strong enough swimmer to compete alone in a tri, but have done a few with a team.

don't forget tomorrow is ride your bike to work day (or at least here it is).

don said...

I can swim but not properly for speed. I guess I should learn how. I like the team idea.

I hadn't heard about bike to work day. There is a national week earlier in the year. I rode to work 4 days week. But I have to go and get some glasses as we are switching insurance so I drove today. I did get up early and go for a ride this morning however and while I was out the wind came up but it was beautiful out.

Good luck with your wedding! Exciting!

Diane Lowe said...

I think I remember driving by Paul Bunyan in Coeur d'Alene once!

There's an Old European Pancake House in Post Falls that's just off the freeway that I recommend. It's near the Hot Rod Cafe.

If you're not up for fattening breakfast foods, they at least serve fresh squeezed orange juice. (Not to mention some of the most delicious coffee!)

don said...

That's good to know.