Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ownership

Here is another photo I took of the camas prairie in Montana. I used to stop at the same spot every time I went through that valley and take a photo as it always looked different. Then one time I went to my usual spot to take a photo up on a pile of rocks and there was a rattlesnake at my feet.

If you click on this photo to see it bigger, it will give you an impression of how big this space is, and you can see the ripple left by Lake Missoula when the ice dam broke at the end of the last ice age.

I think it's a cool space. I like being in it. When you are there, it gives you a sense of ownership even if you are only a traveler, as you are one of the only people for as far a you can see. That's why this is one of my favorite places. People wave at eachother when they pass on the highway.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

This photo reminds me of the drive up to Butte on I-15. There are a couple places that are as expansive and impressive as this - most of the time there's not a soul on the road but your own.

don said...

That is where Walter has his ranch. Outside of Lima. I wish I could cycle there as it is so high in elevation. The valley floor there is 3k feet higher than the valley in this photo.

Courtney said...

This picture is breath taking!

don said...

Thanks!