Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I rebuilt a carburetor

Tonight I rebuilt a Holley carburetor on an old four wheel drive for a friend of mine. I didn't tear it all the way down but I did replace the key parts including the powervalve and accelerator pump diaphram. I removed and cleaned out the jets. Then I put it back on and Wa La! The old thing started right up and ran perfect. It hadn't been running in several years. So I was darn proud of myself. It was only a two barrel carburetor so it wasn't that complicated. Four barrel ones are much more complicated. The photo is before I rebuilt it. Now it is all shinny clean, and it purrs like a cat!

It was kind of relaxing and interesting work, and it was a nice evening to work on it in the shade. I guess I'm a shade tree mechanic. I need to become a better mechanic anyway. My friend was gone at a BBQ, so I got the four wheel drive running and then I drove it around and parked it a different way so that when he returned home tonight he will know I got it running if he takes notice. He will notice it in the morning anyway.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Wow!

Looks like greasy fun!

Hopefully your friend doesn't think that someone is just "messing with him". :)

don said...

I spoke with him today. He noticed right away.