Sunday, June 17, 2007

Two bucks

I saw these two bucks in Montana this weekend. They are in the velvet and should get pretty big antlers by the time fall rolls around as they are just starting to grow their horns. They were quite a ways away from me so you will have to click on them get a better look as I had my camera on maximum zoom. They looked to be two and a half or three years old. The one on the left might actually be a little older than the one on the right. His antlers have a wider spread and are starting to branch. The one on the right has a bigger body but he is younger I think. They live on tibal land so they can't get hunted by anyone except native americans. Those white spots in the field are daisies.

I've seen quite a few wild animals in this part of the reservation. I saw a WOVERINE here a few years ago. They are nasty nasty animals with a serious attitude and very high on the food chain. It was trotting along in the ditch and so I slowed down and then it went right in front of the car and then off into the land on the other side of the highway. The picures on Wikipedia don't do it justice. I wish I'd had my camera ready when I saw it. I always do now.

I also saw these bighorns last year. There is a herd in this area. I saw them a few weeks ago but no big rams like this one. Bighorns are big powerful animals. I had one run right past me on a trail in Glacier Park a few years ago. They are bigger than people think. One time I was watching a group of big rams walk up a hillside and past some mule deer. There was something timeless and majestic about the way they looked as the two groups passed. I thought there might be a conflict but there wasn't. The native americans don't hunt them.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Any reason why the Native Americans don't hunt Bighorn sheep?

Great photos! I love wildlife photography!

don said...

The state has introduced bighorns in a few locations to build herds and they are working with the tribes in this effort at this location I believe.

The tribal members are pretty good about managing their wildlife and have their own game department.