Sunday, June 10, 2007

Two lane highway

going my way,...bla bla ba... I can't remember the rest of the words to that song. :)

It was cold and rainy this weekend for the most part here in the northwest but I did go to Montana and got in one bike ride and also mowed the lawn. At night I made a fire down by the lake and watched the wind and waves.

On my way back home there were two cyclists on the camas prairie of Montana not far from Perma. Perma is at the foot of those mountains in the distance. I knew they would be coming down this hill so I pulled over and got this photo. This highway used to be were the road race part of the Ecology Center Bike Race used to go. This cyclist has a back pack on. (Click to see bigger if you want) I couldn't tell if this was a woman or a man as they went by so fast. I got the impression that they were primarily mountain bike riders based on their clothes and equipment and the way they climbed up the other side of this hill, despite the fact that they were on road bikes. I've seen a lot of people transition from mountain bikes to road bikes, and it takes them a while to do it gracefully, but this is what cycling in Montana looked like today.

They say that at the end of the last ice age, a big ice dam broke or something and spilled all of the water out of Lake Missoula and created the Columbia River Gorge. The ripples in this valley are a result.

This is one of my favorite places. I've photographed this valley a lot. I'll post some other shots later.

No comments: