Monday, July 02, 2007

Blue and green

Here is a photo I took on my way home at Perma Montana looking east along the South Fork of the Flathead River. This river is always turquoise. It has to do with the minerals in the water. The water in it comes out of Flathead Lake. Just a few miles away this river merges with the Clark Fork and then it isn't turquois. Sometimes the lake is this color.

I heard on Rick Steves as he traveled in Turkey, that the BLUE MOSQUE in Istanbul is known for it's blue mosaic tiles. It was a color favored by the Turks and that's where the term turquoise comes from. I didn't know that.

When I was in highschool I had a girlfriend who worked at a jewelry store that sold turquoise and silver jewelry. A bracelet came in that she really liked. She told me about it. It was $50 and a lot of money for me back then. So one day when she wasn't working I went there and bought it for her and told the other girl not to say anything. I can't be sure if she kept the secret. But my girl got what she wanted and I was happy to give it to her. There are two colors of turquoise stones, a blue one and kind of a green one. She had green eyes and she liked the green color and this had a green stone. She was really beautiful. Then she told me that the bracelet had been sold, and I was like that's too bad. Later I gave it to her for her birthday or something and I think she was surprised. I imagine she still has it but perhaps her taste has changed. She ended up living in Kuwait. Anyway this river is always turquoise like this and I photograph it a lot.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I'm sure she liked the bracelet. If she doesn't have it I'm sure she still has the memory. Not many guys are thoughtful like that.

don said...

She might have set me up for it, but I didn't mind as it looked nice on her. Even after we broke up, I'd see her wearing it.