Thursday, July 26, 2007

Wear your helmet

Before my bike ride up the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier Park last week, I stopped to use a bathroom at a boat launch along the shore of Flathead Lake. There were trucks with boat trailers but not really that many people around. So I went in and went to the bathroom. Then I washed my hands of course, and then before I walked out the door, I noticed my shoe lace was undone. So I bent over to tie it. When I did that the door flew open from an old farmer guy coming in and the door smashed right into my head! Didn't really hurt me but it did ring my bell. He felt horrible about it "Are you ok?" and I'm like "Oh no problem, not to worry". But it did hurt and gave me an instant headache. Thinking back on it I should have played it up and staggered around and then fell over just to see what he would have done. :)

I should wear a helmet when I go to the bathroom! I'm a big believer in crash helmets. They have saved me more than once both cycling and skiing. I used to wear my bike helmet only part of the time. Thankfully the time I really needed it I had it on and now I wear it all of the time, and I never ski without my ski helmet. (this is my file photo of my ski helmet and my bike helmet) Can't go too many posts without a photo here at bicycle log!

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I'm so glad you're OK!

Hopefully the headache didn't last too long. I hate those things!

don said...

Thanks, and yes it was not a good sign before a ride like that. But I learned something. Don't bend over next to a door like that. duh.