Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fireworks

A kid sifts through the debris left by people lighting off fireworks at the state line of Idaho last night. He's looking for ones that failed to go off. He'll probably try and re-light them, and that can be dangerous. On the Wasthington side of the border fireworks are banned, so every year they set up a stand to sell them right on the other side of the border in Idaho.

Some of the people who set these off come back and make an attempt to clean this up but they never get all of the litter. This is on my bike ride to work. I'll be seeing bits and pieces for the rest of the summer. There is a $500 fine for lighting them off where I live on the Washington side of the border but that doesn't stop anyone. Not my neighbors anyway. So I had my sprinklers going around my house. There are three large city displays in the area, one only a couple of miles away, but people want to play with fire.

Every year the tent goes up to sell these fireworks. They create this mess. The tent goes away and the mess stays.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Ahhh now I understand. I was really amazed to see all of those little stands in the middle of nowhere. It was strange to me to see a firework stand when there wasn't even a gas station or anything else around. I didn't understand how they could get any business.

don said...

I did remember you talking about the fireworks stands. I suspect that you drove south of Coeur d'Alene and there is a native american reservation down there. The Coeur d'Alene tribe. They also engage in selling fireworks. But they aren't alone. I think you can get fireworks anywhere in Montana and it is often non-natives who sell them. People from Spokane county also go to the Spokane native american reservation to get them.

You would think with the wild fire danger states like Idaho would ban these things. I just don't get it.

Of course up at the lake in Montana people buy them, and I did sit out on the boat dock and watch the neighbors put off a pretty impressive display. I stay up until it is all over so I can put out anything that happens. One year a grass fire started and it was all we could do to get it out as the grass was so dry. It started spotting, as embers flew and started other little fires on the hill side. It can get away easy.

I remember a cabin on Kings Point going up a couple of years ago as we all watched. No way the fire department can ever put any fire out on a structure if it goes up around the lake. They just can't get there in time. It's just insane.

As far as the coffee goes, well we are pretty close to Seattle and the home of Starbucks. I have no problem with that :)